Our Activate Children and Young People programme, previously known as Satellite Club Programme, seeks to establish new and regular opportunities for inactive young people aged 5-24 to participate in sport or physical activity.
What is the Activate CYP Programme?
The Activate Children and Young People Programme is a Sport England funded programme designed by Active Herefordshire and Worcestershire. The Activate Programme provides young people with local opportunities to get involved in positive and enjoyable sport and physical activity experiences. The programme may run as an extension of a community sports club (hub club) or it can be a totally new opportunity. Activate Programmes should be community focused and should aim to make it easy for young people to become physically active or to develop more regular activity habits.
Supported by or linked to a local community sports club, physical activity opportunity or provider (The Hub), Activate Programmes should be designed around the needs of inactive young people and should be able to respond to the changing demands for physical activity and engagement, from young people. Activate Programmes should help shape the way in which existing sport and physical activity providers tailor their offer to meet the different motivations and needs of young people, particularly those who are less active or at risk of becoming inactive.
What does an Activate Programme look like and what is the focus?
- 5-24 year olds
- Must focus on inactive participants from one of the following demographics:
- Women and girls
- Young people with a disability and/or long-term health conditions
- Young people at risk of offending
- Young people from low socio-economic circumstance
- Minority ethnic communities
- Young people experiencing poor mental health
- Young people displaying excess weight and/or poor fitness levels
- All Activate Programmes should be open to the community.
- Activate Programmes must be self sustaining e.g. participant income must be redirected back into the club
- Activity must be new and not an existing project
- Evidence must exist showing a demand and need for the project
- Sessions offered are designed around the needs of young people and provide them with positive enjoyable experiences that make it easy for them to become active
- Sessions are young people led including involving young people in decisions and design
How does the programme work?
Activate Programmes can be funded for:
- Pilot Programme - 4-8 weeks (1-2 MONTHS) Funding based on a pro rata rate of the proposed CORE Development Plan
- CORE Delivery Programme: 12-30 weeks (3-6 MONTHS) – Up to £4,000
- Expansion Programme: Following CORE Delivery funding Expansion funding is available for up to 3 years; Year 1 up to £3,000, Year 2 up to £2,000, Year 3 up to £1,000.
What can funding be used for?
Funding can be used to cover:
- Coaching/delivery costs
- Qualifications and training
- Further funding may also be available to help sustain the satellite club following the funding period
What are the benefits
Establishing an Activate Programme can have a number of benefits:
- The programme can attract new members and keep young people engaged and active over the long run
- It's a new way to find young leaders and volunteers
- It will raise the profile of your organisation/club in the local community
- Activate Programmes can help you earn more revenue and encourage long-term sustainability
- Activate Programmes can help reduce waiting lists by providing additional opportunities for young people
- Introducing an Activate Programme can help you think differently about where you provide your sport or activity, how you deliver it and who you deliver it to.
How do we support our Activate CYP Programme providers?
- Networking opportunities
- Insight opportunities
- 121 support from our Children & Young People team
- Subsidised/Free CPD & training opportunities including Mental Health First Aid & Working with Challenging Behaviour
- Welcome Pack including resources
- Further funding opportunities
- EduCare Training including 18 courses
- Young Leader training for any young leaders aged 16-24 as part of the Young Leaders Academy
- Sported Governance & Sustainability Support
- UpShot Monitoring & Evaluation
- Access to the Activity Volunteer Award accredited by Sports Leaders UK
Expansion funding provides the opportunity for organisations to expand their provision and provide a more extensive range of opportunities.
This additional funding cannot be used to sustain an existing programme or to cover coaching costs, instead the aim of this funding allocation is to expand and diversify the clubs offer, encouraging a more comprehensive approach to sustainability moving forwards.
Please note, there is an expectation for Activate Programmes to be sustainable following the end of the core funding cycle for the programme. Consequently, expansion funding cannot be used to cover the costs of this provision, it must instead, as mentioned, be used to diversify or expand.
All Activate Programme providers will be informed of the option to apply for expansion funding in the run up to the end of their funding period.
Please note this investment is funded by the National Lottery and as a result funding is subject to Sport England's final approval.
If you have an idea for a Activate Programme please complete the Expression of Interest form below.