Sport England Return to Play: Small Grants
Summary: This £10 million fund focuses on awards of up to £10,000 that support clubs and community groups respond to the challenges of returning to play during the coronavirus pandemic. Due to the latest lockdown, some running costs are also available for organisations in IMD 1-5.
- 03458 508 508
- Amount Available
- £300 to £10,000
- Type of funding
- Club, Group or Organisation, Disability Groups, Social Welfare Outcomes
- Leicester-Shire & Rutland Sport
About Sport England Return to Play: Small Grants
The Return to Play: Small Grants fund seeks to support projects addressing the challenges coronavirus (Covid-19) has posed to people taking part in sport and physical activity.
A total of £10 million is available, with grants of between £300 and £10,000, to help not-for-profit community organisations create coronavirus-secure settings for community sport and physical activity to resume this autumn.
The fund will have flexible priorities, to be able to best respond to the frequently changing challenges posed to community sport.
These could include having to deliver sport and physical activity in smaller groups, having the correct sanitation and safety equipment, not having enough sports equipment to safely deliver activities and having the appropriate training for club volunteers to ensure you're meeting the current guidelines - more information on which can be found at the links below.
Funding could therefore be used for minor amendments to facilities, additional sports equipment, signage, sanitation and training courses to help you deliver your activities safely.
- Projects located in areas of high deprivation (decile 1-3 of the Indices of Deprivation). To see which decile your project location fits into, you can use this postcode checker.
Other funding priorities
- Organisations working with Black, Asian and minority ethnic communities, people on lower incomes, disabled people, people with long-term health conditions and people experiencing a greater burden of care because of coronavirus.
- Organisations that don't have a significant level of reserve funding available to utilise.
Fund Criteria Update - Responding to lockdown - 14th January 2021
Due to the announcement of the new national lockdown measures, we are adapting the Return to Play Small Grants programme to help further. These changes include:
- Organisations based in Indices of Multiple Deprivation (IMD) 1-5 can now seek support towards ongoing running costs - for example rent, utilities and insurance. This is capped at a maximum of £3,000 and will only be considered with an eligible funding request. We won't solely support only running costs. Please see more details in the 'what we can fund' section.
- Eligible organisations/activities in IMD 6-10 locations can apply to our crowdfunding option, Return to Play: Active Together, to seek support towards running costs.
- Flexibility over start date - we ask that activity resumes within six weeks of national/local lockdown restrictions being lifted.
- We've increased our total budget by £5 million to support more organisations.
- We're now extending the programme and it will remain open up to 30 June 2021.
Existing Awardees - If you're in an organisation already in receipt of Return to Play: Small Grants funding, are located in IMD 1-5 - you can find your location here - and are now eligible for running cost support, please consider the points listed on the Sport England link below.
These are just the summary points, further information can be found on our website, for both potential and existing awardees, regarding the programme and the changes: https://www.sportengland.org/how-we-can-help/our-funds/return-play-small-grants
Active Herefordshire & Worcestershire is not responsible for the accuracy of information provided by third-parties and accepts no liability relating to any information contained on the site. If any contact details have been provided, It is recommended that you contact them directly.