We all have mental health. Just like our physical health, it goes up and down, directly affecting our overall wellbeing and quality of life. Having good mental health can help us feel better, sleep better and support us in doing the things we want to do. It can also help us have more positive relationships with those around us.
Mental health issues are very common. Did you know that one in four people in the UK experienced mental health issues in the last year? This means that most of us know someone living with a mental health issue or have personally experienced them.
But we don't need to wait until we are struggling with our mental health. There are lots we can do to protect ourselves and prevent problems escalating, just as we do with our physical health. Physical activity has a huge potential to enhance our wellbeing and improve our overall mental health.
We do however, recognise that living with low mental health can be unpredictable. It is important to take each day as it comes and starting small is a great way to begin. Make the most of your good days and on your not-so-good days, you may choose to do less and that's OKAY.
There a lots of ways to be active. You could go for a short walk near your house, or try an online yoga session. If you aim for something you'll enjoy, you'll be much more likely to stick to it on a longer term basis. Group exercise can provide various opportunities to socialise which in turn could reduce any feelings of isolation or loneliness. Click here to find an activity near you.
Every Mind Matters - Your Mind Plan
Every Mind Matters 'Your Mind Plan' is an online interactive quiz which will enable you to get tailored tips and advice and build an action plan that works for you, to help you deal with stress and anxiety, boost your mood, improve your sleep and help you feel more in control.
Answer the 5 questions in this interactive quiz to get top tips and advice for you:
There are several national and local charities, groups and organisations that can help you when you need support:
- Mind (Herefordshire Mind and Springfield Mind) - provides confidential mental health information services.
- Mental Health Foundation
- NHS Mental Health Resources
- Every Mind Matters - Supporting people take simple steps to look after their mental health, improve their mental wellbeing and support others.
- Now We're Talking - Campaign set out to reduce stigma and encourage more local people to access the Healthy Minds Service to get the support if and when they need it.
- Samaritans - Provides confidential, non-judgemental emotional support for people experiencing feelings of distress or despair, including those that could lead to suicide.
- Rethink Mental Illness - Provides expert advice and information to people with mental health problems and those who care for them, as well as giving help to health professionals, employers and staff.
- Shout - The UK's first 24/7 text service, free on all major mobile networks, for anyone in crisis anytime, anywhere. It's a place to go if you're struggling to cope and you need immediate help.