Primary PE & School Sport
The importance of children having access to high quality PE within schools is widely publicised. Numerous studies and research has highlighted the link between positive experiences with PE and future physical activity levels both in later childhood and adulthood.
Figures from Sport England has shown that nearly 4 out of 5 Children and Young People aged between 5 and 15 years old are noting meeting the recommended average of 60 mins a day of physical activity. The Primary PE and Sport Premium is an important programme to help schools provide a greater amount of high-quality PE and physical activity throughout the school day and support children to meet at least 30 minutes of that recommended amount.
Active Herefordshire and Worcestershire are committed to supporting schools to inspire the next generation, remove barriers and increase participation in high quality physical education, sport and physical activity for ALL children.
The Primary PE and Sport Premium (PPSP) is ring fenced money for primary schools to improve the quality of primary PE. This funding has been committed by the government until 2021, with a focus on providing sustained development for PE, physical activity and sport within schools.
As the Active Partnership (AP) for Herefordshire and Worcestershire, we receive funding from Sport England to support all of our local, eligible schools to spend their PPSP funding effectively. Together with local education partners, SGOs, local and national organisations we have established strategies and support networks for all schools who receive PPSP. As a result of COVID-19 restrictions, the emphasis on maintaining physical activity within schools to support both the physical and mental wellbeing of children has becoming increasingly more essential. Through the use of PPSP funding, we want to support schools to find new ways in which they can introduce physical activity throughout the school timetable, whilst also taking into consideration the challenges schools are currently facing on their return.
Each district in Worcestershire and Herefordshire as a unitary authority have an allocated expert for schools to contact. These are some of the areas in which we are able to support through employed expertise:
Recommend and assist with applications to other funding streams
Help to develop and implement improvement plans
Upskill teaching staff, providing guidance and CPD opportunities to teachers and PE Co-ordinators (go to CPD for current courses)
Demonstrating evidence and impact
Access to networks and partnerships
Advise on how to make informed decisions when spending the PPSP
Contacts for each area can be found at the bottom of the page. Documents with further information and advice can be accessed using the resources link.
New guidance for 2020/21
- Funding for Primary PE and Sport Premium has been extended to the academic year 2020/2021
- As a result of COVID-19 restrictions, schools who have an underspend from 2019/20 can carry this forward into the new academic year. This funding, however, must be committed and spent by March 2021
- Reporting of impact for 2019/20 has been relaxed, however, Active Herefordshire and Worcestershire will be carrying out a mapping exercise in order to establish the challenges, impact and local picture in order to establish areas of support.
More detailed information can be found here.
Project Manager (Children & Young People)
- Children & Young People programmes
- Strategic Lead for Youth Engagement Project
- Primary PE and Sport Premium
- Active Lives
- School Games
- Sports Equipment
- Activate Children & Young People Programme
- Young Leaders Academy (Leadership & Volunteering)
- Deputy Safeguarding Officer
- 01905 542035
- 07766 611946
PPSP support for Bromsgrove, Wychavon and Redditch
- 07838 736 266
PPSP support for Wyre Forest, Malvern Hills, Worcester City and Droitwich
- 01299 873611
Education & Health Manager
- PPSP support for Herefordshire
- School support plans
- Health / physical activity interventions
- Change 4 Life
- School Games Organiser
- 01432 376086