Celebrating school sport and physical activity in Herefordshire and Worcestershire
We want to recognise the excellent work that schools are doing using their Primary PE and Sport Premium funding through a set of new awards which are linked to national partners.
The awards have returned for 2020 to recognise schools that have endeavoured to provide improved outcomes for pupils using the Primary PE and Sport Premium grant.
All schools in Herefordshire and Worcestershire who are in receipt of the government grant are able to nominate themselves/be nominated for one of three awards:
– Physical activity and health enhancing initiatives
– Whole school improvement
– Upskilling staff
Round 1- County awards: Applications will be judged at a county level. Winners will receive county level recognition and will be entered into the West Midlands regional awards. Deadline for applications to be returned is Friday 15th May 2020.
Round 2- Regional awards Winners of the Active Herefordshire and Worcestershire county awards will be entered into the regional competition with winners from the other five West Midlands County Sports Partnerships (Active Black Country / Sport across Staffordshire & Stoke-on-Trent (SASSOT) / Sport Birmingham / Coventry, Solihull & Warwickshire Sport (CSW Sport) / Energize Shropshire, Telford & Wrekin). Unfortunately, due to the effects of COVID-19 on schools, the 2020 Regional PPSP Awards have been cancelled.
These awards are a celebration of good practice in utilising the PE Premium; schools will receive recognition at a local and regional level.
Guidance for the nomination submission
Who can nominate: Any school receiving the Primary PE and School Sport premium is eligible to nominate or be nominated for an award;
• The school (teacher, support staff, governor etc.)
• A parent / extended family member
• A partner of the school (local authority, academy sponsor, school games organiser, coaching organisation etc.)
• All nominations must be received by Friday 15th May 2020
• County awards winners will be announced by Friday 5th June 2020
Before applying, ensure that your submission:
- Is innovative - How has the school delivered something additional which is ground breaking and original which other schools can learn from?
- Is sustainable - How has the school ensured that the impact of an additional intervention can be maintained after the grant is no longer provided?
- Impacts on pupils – this is crucial if your submission is to be successful. How has the school ensured and measured (evidence will be required) that pupils benefit from the intervention?
Applications should include innovative interventions, projects or other activities which have improved outcomes for pupils. Your example should have developed or added to the PE and sport activities that your school already offers and make improvements now that will benefit pupils joining the school in future years. Impact should be clearly measured and applications should include qualitative and/or quantitative evidence including quotes from teachers, pupils and, where possible, parents.
Physical activity and health enhancing initiatives
For schools which can demonstrate the impact of the grant on their pupils' engagement in physical activity or health improvement activities. This could include:
Whole school improvement
For schools which can demonstrate the impact of their funding on pupils in and through PE, including other curriculum subjects and priority school development areas. This could include:
For schools which can demonstrate the impact of the grant on pupils when increasing confidence, competence or qualifications of school staff including teachers, teaching assistants, lunch time supervisors, governors or parents. This could include:
To nominate a school please complete an application form which is accessible below. Deadline for entries is Friday 15th May 2020. Applications should be returned to Huw Griffiths - firstname.lastname@example.org
If you would like any further information please use the contact details below.
PESSP Awards Nomination Form 2020 (MS Word, 95 Kb)
Project Manager (Children & Young People)
- Children & Young People programmes
- Strategic Lead for Youth Engagement Project
- Strategic Lead for This Girl Can programme
- Primary PE and Sport Premium
- Active Lives
- School Games
- 01905 542033
- 07786 028926