Active Herefordshire and Worcestershire has received £60,000 to invest in sports clubs and community organisations to get more people physically active and playing sport, particularly those people that are known to be less likely to take part in sport and physical activity.
Provided by Sport England and the National Lottery, the funding aims to commemorate the Commonwealth Games and encourage community audiences to be active whilst celebrating the event in Birmingham. Applications should focus on at least one of the Games missions:
1. Bring people together - This fund will celebrate through sport and physical activity commonwealth culture and cultural diversity.
2. Improve health and wellbeing - This fund will encourage applications that focus on participation – inactive to active but not exclusive.
3. Help the region to grow and succeed - This fund will support projects that include a focus on volunteering and workforce development.
Paper Based Application Form (MS Word, 530 Kb)
Who can apply?
Grants between £100 - £2,500 are available to sports clubs and community organisations that are prioritising or supporting the following groups:
- People with long term health conditions (including mental health and wellbeing)
- Disabled people
- Lower socio-economic groups
- Culturally diverse communities
- Women and girls
- Older adults
We will prioritise applications that include a minimum of 20% to support volunteer and workforce development.
Can my organisation apply?
We encourage applications from community organisations that prioritise and support the priority audiences listed above (even if you do not currently offer any physical activity or sport as part of your work/activities). We also particularly welcome applications from constituted sports clubs. Organisations eligible for funding include:
- Formally constituted club, association, charity or trust
- Registered charity
- Community interest companies (CIC)
- Charitable incorporated organisations (CIO)
- Not for profit limited company
- Education - schools and colleges
- Local authority
When does the project need to be completed?
Ideally projects will have been completed by the end of this year (31 December). In exceptional circumstances they may continue to 31 March 2023.
What can the funding be used for?
Whilst the fund is flexible, the key consideration is whether the proposed costs will encourage priority audiences to be active or more active. Examples of eligible costs include:
- Volunteer development and expenses (e.g. training)
- Workforce development and expenses (e.g. coach and instructor qualifications, training)
- Workforce fees (staff costs, coach and instructor fees)
- Equipment purchase/hire
- Facility hire
- Promotion and publicity
- Transport and travel.
There are some costs which are not eligible, this includes:
- Capital works
- A project that has already received funding for the same work (it needs to be additional to the previously funded project)
- Items which only benefit an individual
- Activities promoting religious or political beliefs
How do I apply?
To apply for the funding, we ask that you first complete the short application form. This can either be done online, or via our paper-based word document which can be downloaded above.
A member of the Active Herefordshire and Worcestershire team will then be in touch to discuss your idea. If eligible, your application form will go ahead to a local panel for recommendation. Recommended applications will then be submitted to Sport England for final approval. We aim to provide feedback on the decision between 2-6 weeks.
If you are unsure on any of the information surrounding this funding opportunity, your organisation's eligibility or wish to discuss an idea in more depth, please contact us using the details below.
Deputy Chief Executive Officer
- Strategic Management & Business Planning
- Research and Intelligence
- Workforce Support
- 07717 422184